Well it has been 27 days since croup came into our lives. Here is the update from us of what we have gone through since the last post....
Pierce continued to wheeze and so on 2/24 we went back to the doctor to see what was going on to make sure that nothing else was a problem. So we went to the
appt and she said she could not tell that there was anything wrong with him by looking in mouth, ears, etc. So she wanted us to get
xrays to make sure there was nothing in his airways blocking his breathing. So we went to get
xrays. That I think was more painful then the blood being drawn. He was too big for this contraption thing they use normally and I guess they
didn’t know how to wrap him up. So J and I were there wrestling with him to hold him still, raise his heads, arms, etc. For 5
xrays – he was just miserable – and just screaming and looking at us like what are you doing to us. From what we could tell there was nothing that could be seen from the
xrays. So the Doctor then wanted us to go to an
ENT – she recommended one and we had an appointment 2 days later (2/26). This appointment was basically to put a scope down his throat to get a look to see what is going on.
So we went to the
ENT on Friday and immediately Pierce was like “heck no you
aren’t even coming close to me”. The doctor, which let me say I
didn’t really like, asked all these crazy questions,
wasn’t very personable, could not explain things to me in laymen terms, and just
didn’t seem to be very concerned in getting Pierce better. Anyways we hold Pierce down to put 2 drops in his nose to numb it. Then we waited 10 minutes and they came back in and stuck a scope down through his nose down his throat to his vocal cords. All this while J, myself and another lady are restraining Pierce. It took probably only 2 minutes for him to look – but it sure felt a lot longer. The great news is there is nothing there that is of an issue, the bad news is that he wants to now go and take him to the OR to put him under for about 5-10 minutes to put a scope (through mouth now) down to look past vocal cords and close to lungs. I am not too thrilled with this doctor and really
didn’t get a good understanding on what all that is going to really do for us (benefit, possible results, risks, etc). So we are going to talk to the pediatrician first to maybe understand it more to know what we might find out with this, etc to determine if we definitely will go through with it. If we do, the
appt is set for Thur. It is so weird because after this weekend Pierce now sounds so much better - very little
wheezing and can breathe and actually talk. So now we wonder if we should wait for a week or more to see if he is 100% better before putting him (and us) through another traumatic experience.
So we are exhausted and tiered and so behind on everything!
So thanks for thinking of us and keeping us in your prayers. Please continue to think of us in hopes that Pierce will be all better soon and not have to go through any more procedures for this!